Job Title: Desktop Support Technician
Reports to: Team Lead End User Computing
Location: Greenhills Mine, Elkford, BC
Term: 6 months
Reporting to the Team Lead End User Computing the Desktop Support Technician is responsible for the day to day delivery of site support services by providing tier 1 and tier 2 support for computer hardware and software. This position provides technical support of computers, applications and related technology. Liaising with various business stakeholders within the our client's business divisions.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Assists staff with the installation, configuration and ongoing usability of desktop computers, laptops, peripheral equipment and software within established standards and guidelines.
- Works with vendor support contacts to resolve technical problems with computing equipment and software.
- Works with service desk, network and server operations staff as appropriate to determine and resolve problems received from clients.
- Interact with numerous computer platforms in a multi-layered client server environment.
- Ensure desktop computers interconnect seamlessly with diverse systems including associated validation systems, file servers, email servers, computer conferencing systems, application servers, and administrative systems.
- Trains and orients staff on the use of hardware and software.
- Recommends and / or performs upgrades on systems to ensure longevity.
- Works with procurement staff to purchase hardware and software.
- Assesses functional needs to determine specifications for purchases.
- Assists in maintaining LAN / WAN records and as appropriate telephone systems cable.
- Provide support to customers via phone, email or fax.
- Phone support with desk side assistance when needed if remote tools are insufficient.
- Field incoming help requests from end users in local and remote locations in a courteous manner.
- Maintain technical problems history through a ticketing system.
- Maintain local network policies, practices, security measures and control documentation.
- Assist in preparing, revising and maintaining procedures and documentation.
- Provide training on the operations and functionality of various applications, printers, and systems.
- Participate in special projects as requested.
- Provide input to IT service management processes including but not limited to; service desk, service requests, knowledgebase and problem management.
- Escalate more complex calls to the relevant IT support member.
- Arrange for external technical support where problems cannot be resolved in house. Follow up with internal support providers and third party service providers until issues are resolved.
- Manage, resolve and / or escalate areas of conflict with cross-functional issues.
- Collaborates with clients to determine and understand business requirements.
- Other responsibilities as required or as assigned.
- 2 - 4 years of experience in Information technology.
- Strong customer, quality and results orientation.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Previous experience within a corporate office technology environment.
- Thorough understanding of Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be familiar with all components of laptops and desktops and be able to replace peripheral components, perform upgrades and repairs to legacy systems.
- Monitoring of third party service providers and evaluation of outsourced IT support service offerings.
- Extensive experience with an incident management system is a must.
- Knowledge of computer hardware technology and remote diagnostics tools is necessary.
- Knowledge of client / server networking and telephony systems.
- Experience with internet and intranet including email, web-based applications and internet browsers is desirable.
- Familiarity with remote tools such as SMS, Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop a plus.